Monday, May 30, 2011

The Life and Opinions of Maf the Dog and of his Friend Marilyn Monroe

It was on my must read list for 2011 as a high priority read, and I can happily say that this is one of the most delightful books I have ever read. Fun, witty -- all good. Thank you Andrew O'Hagan, I look forward to reading your next book!

Maf was indeed Marilyn Monroe's canine companion in the latter few years of her life, and a gift to her from Frank Sinatra. Maf's happy and wise philosophical perspective about art and Marilyn constantly amuses and enlightens.



Through Maf (Mafia Honey), Andrew O'Hagan does what no biographer has ever achieved when writing about the iconic Marilyn Monroe -- he humanises her while still celebrating her, and writes about her with respect.

To find out more, read John Banville's (who has just one the prestigious Franz Kafka Prize for literature) review in The Guardian.

Don't forget to look at that fabulous animated book trailer. I was instantly enchanted by it, but now that I've read the book, I can further appreciate how perfectly it captures the spirit of Maf and Marilyn:  The Life and Opinions of Maf the Dog and of his Friend Marilyn Monroe

US Cover
BTW, this wonderful book was not available in Australia in ebook format, and I'm not much of a fan of the Australian cover either. The US one was so perfect -- I would have gone straight for it on the bookshelf. The Aus one I would have walked straight past. What do you think?

Aus/UK Cover

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about the book cover. The US one is better. Have you seen this little video: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1M92ZHVYN98Y0/ref=ent_fb_link

    ReplyDelete