Thursday, November 4, 2010

Reconstructing My 2010 Reading List (to date)

Neglect of BookFuzz has resulted in an incomplete record of my 2010 reading list (to date). I started the year, knowing there were lots of life hurdles ahead, with the unusual resolution to read less. I was giving myself the year off from reading for the first time in my life while I focused on other things, like new jobs and new cities to settle into.



It didn't work (not reading, not not settling into new life). I've read quite a bit. And there is a distinct overtone to my reading habits this year, far less variety than usual, as I've immersed myself in Young Adult, Urban Fantasy and Romantic Comedy. Pure escapism at every turn -- makes sense, its been a massive year so what better way to cope than with a Reading Time-Out as I walk in the steps of teenagers, hapless romantic heroines, fairies, angels, vampires and werewolves.

By my calculations, and bearing in mind that I have forgotten a couple at least (and recent ruthless library cull has left no evidence of some), this is what I've come up with:
  1. Going Bovine by Libba Bray (YA)
  2. Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson (YA)
  3. Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (RomCom)
  4. Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer (YA)
  5. LA Candy: Sugar & Spice by Lauren Conrad (YA)
  6. LA Candy: Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad (YA)
  7. I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil by Josh Lieb (YA)
  8. Blue Bloods: The Van Allen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz (YA)
  9. Blue Bloods: Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz (YA)
  10. Blue Bloods: Masquerades by Melisa de la Cruz (YA)
  11. Splendor: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen (YA)
  12. Envy: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen (YA)
  13. The Girl Who Chased The Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (RomCom)
  14. Take A Chance on Me by Jill Mansell (RomCom)
  15. Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr (YA)
  16. Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr (YA)
  17. The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar (Urban Fantasy)
And started, but not completed (yet):
  1. Curse of the Wolf Girl by Martin Millar (Urban Fantasy) -- currently reading
  2. The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean (RomCom) -- currently reading
  3. Inkheart by Celia Funke -- on pause
The standouts so far have been books that I came across unexpectedly.

Going Bovine, an advance copy I stumbled across then day after I'd been reading about it on Amazon. I've read some of this authors work last year, but this was something quite different from her, a modern take on Don Quixote, a story that has always fascinated me although the actual book by Cervantes continues to gather dust, unread, on my shelf as I never seem to have the time to commit to such a lengthy read (until now). Its exploration of life, death, fantasy and adventure as a teen's battle with a deadly illness affecting his brain takes him on an amazing road trip across America. I loved this book.

I Am A Genius of Unspeakable Evil I finished just yesterday. This one was thrown up in an "Amazon Recommends" for me session. I was curious so I downloaded it. And my curiosity has been amply rewarded as this book was hilarious, fun and clever. While looking for a link for my list I realised it was authored by the producer of The Daily Show. So this is a book for anyone who loves (like I do) the blend of insight, wit, and childish antics of that show! A 12-year-old fat kid, the dummest kid in school, is merely a mask behind which an evil genius billionnaire masterminds his evil genius plans. Excellent fun! I hear there is a movie in the works.

The other surprise book for me was Jessica Rudd's Campaign Ruby. Authored by the daughter of KRudd, former PM, it reminds me strongly of two of my favourite Romantic Comedy novels Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House, both by Kirsten Gore (daughter of Al, former US VP)! And it was almost as good! It is increasingly hard to find smart and sassy romantic comedy reads that do not trivialise their characters making them total twits, to the ruination of the entire genre (DO NOT get me started on this!). So it was delightful to discover a writer who can create a clever, interesting and warm heroine who is funny and convincing, and take her through a fun and clever plot -- and does not pair her up with a total douche hero. And the comparisons in plot to the real-life political drama her dad went through on the books realease are amazing. I look forward to reading more from Jessica. By the way, have you noticed she leans into the camera when she has her photo taken, just like her dad?

All the others are good too, but mainly sequels, so no real surprises -- every bit as fun and/or frivolous as anticipated. I'm thrilled to know there are more books coming from many of these authors before the year is out so the theme of escapism continue. While well below my usual fortnightly rate, it's still not bad reading progress! Not that anyone's counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment