Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas catalogue period

I love this time of year!! Junk mail, especially book-related junk mail. Comprehensive catalogues -- or cattle dogs as they are often described by those who sweat over their compilation and distribution, the dedicated marketing and sales staff of leading independent booksellers in Australia like Readings, Mary Ryan, Abbeys, Leading Edge, Pages & Pages, and more.



They are particularly welcome given the lacklustre selection on Amazon at the moment which seems to strip back their doorbuster books with every passing month -- a dangerous trend as it focuses too much attention on too narrow a selection, irksome for the bookophile who prefers a more interesting choice than yet another edition of Stieg Larsson or The Twilight Saga.

My picks, spotted among the catalogue (web) pages of Readings in Melbourne, in no particular order:

How To Live Safely In A Science Fiction Universe
This looks fascinating. Will Charles Yu live up to the standards set in this genre by Douglas Adams or Jasper Fforde? I hope so because I am badly in need of reading a strong new voice in the world of topsy turvy.

The Death of King Arthur: The Immortal Legend
Peter Ackroyd is a wonderful writer and explorer or British history through literature. I think this subject appeals to me more than any other he has touched before. Also by Peter Ackroyd, a retelling of The Canturbury Tales.

Nourishment
I love discovering new books with a WW1 or WW2 bckdrop that take you somewhere new in the experience of war. This one by Gerard Woodward certainly looks intriguing.

Preincarnate
I love the acting work of Saun Micallef and the bizarre premise of this novel sees to perfectly epitomise him. You must follow this link to see what I mean.

Light Boxes
This novel by Shane Jones sounds divine -- gothic, wintery (literally), and something special. I am curious to know if it is a little bit Neil Gaimanesque. This one will be a high priority read for me.

The Life and Opinions of Maf the Dog and of his Friend Marilyn Monroe
Another high priority read. I have read quite a bit about this book by Andrew O'Hagan -- and I was unsure at first but increasingly I am intrigued. But the book trailer sold me -- you MUST check it out on the link.

The Lessons
This novel by Naomi Alderman looks charming and romantic and rambling. I am delighted to read the review which compares it to Evelyn Waugh -- another favourite author. Please.

The Fleurville Trilogy
No Christmas catalogue wishlist is complete without something for children, especially when it is French. This is a very sweet series FINALLY translated from French to English.

The Last Dragonslayer
Jasper Fforde's first foray into YA. I've already downloaded it on my Kindle app for my sexy new iPad. Nuff said.

I am not even going to start talking about all the amazing gift books (which NO ebook will ever be able to replicate the fantabulousness of (and that's coming from a fan of the ebook).

No comments:

Post a Comment